As I get ready to have a parent meeting for First Communion here are some practical suggestions for parents as they help their child prepare for this most significant event/encounter – their First Holy Communion.
Practical Ways to Help Your Child Prepare for their First Communion
- Go to Sunday Mass with your children. Nothing is more important!
- Talk about what went on at Mass.
- Share how special it is to receive Jesus.
- Make Mass important and a valuable experience & not merely a “gotta go and get it done for the day” experience.
- Pray a special prayer daily as they prepare.
- Take the time to really go through the assignments…make them a special time.
a. Establish a weekly time
b. Show enthusiasm
c. Take the time to be thorough
6. Make visits to the Blessed Sacrament
a. Come early to Mass (or stay after) and pray before the Blessed Sacrament
b. Spend time in the Adoration Chapel
7. When passing by a Catholic Church make the sign of the cross and/or say a prayer with your child.
8. Talk about how God is working in your life and what the Eucharist means to you.
a. Share your experience
b. Of your First Communion (have grandparents and aunts & uncles share their experiences).
c. Of how receiving Eucharist every week impacts your life and helps you grow in your relationship with Christ.
d. Read a book on the Eucharist.
9. Help your child to know how to pray after Communion.
10. Make it a priority to eat dinner together as a family. This helps them understand more clearly how the Eucharist is the family meal of the Church.
11. Pray regularly for a greater love of Christ who is truly present in the Eucharist. For example: Jesus, as I prepare for my First Communion please help me love you more and do your will.
12. Have them write a letter to Jesus or to journal over these next couple months.
Please share your suggestions on how parents can help prepare their children.